I just finished sophomore year and am seriously considering taking a gap year so I can transfer to a stronger school and improve my chances of breaking into quant.
As I understand it, the last realistic transfer opportunity is after sophomore year. I didn't apply this cycle because I was on the fence, but I've since decided that transferring is something I want to pursue. To remain eligible, I'd need to take a year off rather than start junior year.
The main thing giving me pause is the opportunity cost. I already have a FAANG SWE internship lined up, so delaying graduation by a year effectively costs me roughly $200k+ in foregone earnings.
On the other hand, my current school is a complete non-target for quant, and it feels extremely difficult to get interviews from here regardless of ability. I've done well in math competitions and feel reasonably confident in my quantitative skills; my concern is mostly access and recruiting opportunities.
For the sake of discussion, assume:
• I can successfully transfer to a significantly stronger school.
• I'm capable of being competitive for quant roles if given the opportunity.
• Current probability of landing a quant interview is 0 given my current institution.
Given those assumptions, would you take the extra year to transfer, or is delaying an entire year of career progression too high a price to pay for a chance at quant recruiting?